Rep Your School
Identity in the “isms”
Registration for Identity in the "isms” Poetry Slam is open. Students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grades are encouraged to participate in this creative writing event.
Middle school is the perfect time to introduce Students to poetry. The principal reason spoken word poetry is a big hit with our youth is because it gives them permission to explore a topic they find captivating and express it using their own thoughts and feelings.
The Pamela D. Franklin Cultural Center for the Performing Arts and its sponsor, the Johnny C. Irwin Memorial Scholarship Fund, is proud to bring you this celebration of verbal expression, creative writing, and confidence in performing.
• Registration deadline is Sunday, January 31, 2021 at 11:59pm. There is NO FEE to participate.
• This event is open to middle school Students currently in 6th, 7th, or 8th grades.
• This is a friendly competition where creative writing will be judged.
• Participants will choose and research an "ism" or "ism(s)" from the list below to write an original poem.
• Participants will record themselves reciting their original poem to submit as an audition video.
• The audition video will be uploaded as part of the online registration.
• Both Participant and a Parent/Guardian must be present when completing the online registration.
• Information Session details will be forwarded once a complete registration has been received.
Prejudice or discrimination against persons of an older age group
Prejudice or discrimination against alter-abled or “disabled” people
Unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children
Prejudice and discrimination based on social or economic class
Prejudice or discrimination in which people are treated differently based on favoring lighter
skin color (different from racism)
Prejudice or discrimination based on a person’s physical appearance, often based on the media’s presentation and definition of beauty
Prejudice or discrimination based on race; the idea that whiteness is superior and therefore
has the right to dominate another race or races (different from colorism)
Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination against women on the basis of gender
Prejudice or discrimination based on a person’s size
The use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes
- Denzel Washington
The Pamela D. Franklin Cultural Center for the Performing Arts is creating a strong foundation of communication and unity that are essential to positive growth. We are genuinely interested in hearing your feedback and we encourage you to engage with us. Reach out any time to request more information, suggest a partnership, or tell us about the positive impact you or someone you know has on your own community. Talk to you soon!